Aldwych Underground Station 1907 AKA Strand London


2015-04-14 12.17.54The station opened in 1907 as an extension to Charing Cross, just down the road.It became a much needed place of safety during the Second World War when it was closed and used as a shelter by up to 1,500 people per night.The Victoria and Albert museum also used it as storage for priceless works of art and the British Museum stored the Elgin Marbles in the tunnels!

The station reopened in 1946, but by 1958, passenger numbers had dwindled and London Underground took the decision to run trains during the rush hour only.When, in 1994 it was found that the lift needed repairing, the expense was deemed to be too high and the station finally closed its gates.

Advertisements